Rauin by Brian Patten
A creature you will not bother to name but that can name itself in anything I push up through the stems of flowers and step out on to lawns. I am a star-swan, am newly-frozen rain cracking under paws. I am Imagination; brushing against railings they glow I leave light In trees, know not whether It Is a lawn or universe I am crossing. So be quieter my friends, do not talk too much of me; some vision of this planet might come and go while you put into words my wonder. I am whatever wakes you from comfortable beds to come shivering— nightgowns around you— to press faces against freezing cloud. And I am what you step towards in wonder, the rainbow found breathing in bushes, the first creature seeing through mists new planets floating. I follow the ant in its tree-trunk world. I am imagination, when I enter your women they glow; you would pull curtains back on them that heaven might see its only rivals. Are you watching me, here with the lawns In your noses? Whatever shape I take I will not...
Comments
Post a Comment